Lee Altus joining EXODUS

Fans and Musicians who can't read/understand German but want to contribute to this page - here's your sacred place!

Here you can also find the official SNAKEPIT forum entries...

Beitragvon big mouth » 10. August 2005, 11:27

So Bay Area guitar expert/ cruncher known as Lee Altus has joined EXODUS replacing Rick Hunolt... his contributions to the new EXODUS album has been the leads as he was asked by Gary to fill in.... with such a new line up, new singer, Altus, Bostaph and Holt , hopefully the new EXODUS live at least will crunch badly... as for the album, it still remains to be seen as Lee didn't write anything... Let's hope Holt was more inspired than for "Tempo.."... now I really hope Lee is still gonna concentrate fully on the mighty HEATHEN.... give us your views...
big mouth
Progressive-Metal-Sammler

Beitragvon Ice-B » 10. August 2005, 16:25

big mouth hat geschrieben: Let's hope Holt was more inspired than for "Tempo.."... now I really hope Lee is still gonna concentrate fully on the mighty HEATHEN.... give us your views...

IMO, "Tempo..." is one hell of an album, I cannot see anything "uninspired" about it. If every reunion album was as great as "Tempo..." the HM World would be a better place... :rolleyes:

I only hope the next EXODUS release can catch up with their last output, with or without songwriting credits for Lee Altus.

I share your hopes regarding Lee and HEATHEN!

Ice
"Out of all genres, Heavy Metal will always survive, because it's the will of the people" (Bruce Dickinson)
Ice-B
METAL GOD

Beitragvon big mouth » 11. August 2005, 10:26

Thanks Ice for putting your imput here! I was wondering if that board had a reason to continue or not considering the number of posts.... what's up people?
big mouth

Beitragvon Prof » 11. August 2005, 10:42

Since the infamous H-Team is no more, I welcome Altus to the ranks of Exodus. Although, not wanting to rain on anyone's parade here, but I have some lingering doubts.
First of all, Exodus now consists of only one original member. Does that make it Exodus? Backbone of the band were The H-Team, one of metal's enduring and truly symbiotic axe doubles. In their playing they were equally melodic and aggressive, a very special combination that maybe Piercy and Altus also had, but in a very different, more traditional manner.
Second: however sad this may sound, I expect more from the reformed Heathen than from the faltering being that has become Exodus. The gig at HOA was shredding to say the least. Here's a Bay Area band that actually oozes the Bay Area spirit, instead of just putting a tour and an album together for old times' sake.
Nevertheless, I loved 'Tempo of the damned', although the disc could've lived up to the 'tempo' thing in the title a bit more in my humble opinion.
Any info on Hunolt's exit for 'family reasons' and such, Monsieur BM?
Prof
Traveller

Beitragvon Oliver/Keep-It-True » 11. August 2005, 10:53

I got the new Exodus record already and it is good, but no classic. There is not much difference to Tempo, but you have to get into the new singer. He sounds like a mix of Balloff and Schuldiner. I talked to Lee at HOA and he said he had no influence on songwriting, just played all the solos and that is it. He also told me Hunolt did not write any song for Exodus since 15 years and was only still in the band because of the friendship of the others. Now it seemed the drug problem overwhelmed him and is the cause for the departure, which they won't say officially I guess. Lee said, that Holt always was Exodus and he wrote 99% of the music. So let's see what the future brings....
"Valor pleases you, Crom...so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"
Bild
Oliver/Keep-It-True
Barbar

Beitragvon Prof » 11. August 2005, 11:15

Oliver thanks Oliver for clearing the Hunolt thing up. I sort of suspected that Rick was still relying on certain substances, but I refuse to post an unconfirmed rumour. I've seen that kicking up needless shit a few times too many.

Considering your comments on the new Exodus album, we have to expect something along the lines of 'Tempo...', with more extreme vocals, then. Are there at least two or three songs on there that are reminiscent of the fireworks during the 'Bonded'-/'Pleasures'-/'Fabulous'-era?
Prof
Traveller

Beitragvon Oliver/Keep-It-True » 11. August 2005, 12:19

It does not sound more extreme. For me Chuck never had that extreme voice, it was just unique. There are 2 or 3 fast tracks on the cd. You have to listen more times. I think Tempo was more easy listening than the new one.
"Valor pleases you, Crom...so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"
Bild
Oliver/Keep-It-True
Barbar

Beitragvon Prof » 11. August 2005, 12:55

Oliver/Keep-It-True hat geschrieben: It does not sound more extreme. For me Chuck never had that extreme voice, it was just unique. There are 2 or 3 fast tracks on the cd. You have to listen more times. I think Tempo was more easy listening than the new one.

Ah, okay. I always thought Baloff's voice was pretty extreme, though. Chuck was more on the 'mellow' side of death metal singing, I guess.
The only album I never really liked was 'Force of habit', by the way.
Prof
Traveller

Beitragvon Guest_big mouth » 12. August 2005, 08:17

Well personally again I don't expect ANYTHING from this new EXODUS record.... Gary has proven with "Tempo" that he ran out of ideas unfortunately.. Lee told me the new one is better but of course it's no "BBB" or "POTF" so... and Lee's axework won't save it...let's hope that Lee will have Gary comiung back to his roots at one point at least.... that's the difference between EXODUS and HEATHEN.... HEATHEN doesn't betray their roots at all just because they're all huge Metal fans....
At least now EXODUS as a strong line up, no techno addicts...I guess it says it all...
Guest_big mouth

Beitragvon Prof » 12. August 2005, 10:53

Guest_big mouth hat geschrieben: Well personally again I don't expect ANYTHING from this new EXODUS record.... Gary has proven with "Tempo" that he ran out of ideas unfortunately.. Lee told me the new one is better but of course it's no "BBB" or "POTF" so... and Lee's axework won't save it...let's hope that Lee will have Gary comiung back to his roots at one point at least.... that's the difference between EXODUS and HEATHEN.... HEATHEN doesn't betray their roots at all just because they're all huge Metal fans....
At least now EXODUS as a strong line up, no techno addicts...I guess it says it all...

Lee was in Die Krupps - not much metal there either...
Prof
Traveller

Beitragvon big mouth » 12. August 2005, 12:15

Yeah DIE KRUPPS were as metal as my ass is but AT LEAST Lee always remained a Metaller..how manyt musicians would list VOIE DE FAIT as one of their fave band? Or BUFFALO and stuff? Not many and certainly not Gary Holt right Prof?!
This guys has obviously forgotten about SATAN, ANGEL WITCH and the stuff he was listening to back in the day... just like the SLAYER dudes.... California disease I guess...
big mouth

Beitragvon Prof » 12. August 2005, 12:41

big mouth hat geschrieben: Yeah DIE KRUPPS were as metal as my ass is but AT LEAST Lee always remained a Metaller..how manyt musicians would list VOIE DE FAIT as one of their fave band? Or BUFFALO and stuff? Not many and certainly not Gary Holt right Prof?!
This guys has obviously forgotten about SATAN, ANGEL WITCH and the stuff he was listening to back in the day... just like the SLAYER dudes.... California disease I guess...

You're right there. The thing that so often strikes me (in a negative way that is) whenever I read interviews with American musicians who used to be part of the metal scene back in the day, is that they so often remark things along the lines of 'I moved on', 'I needed to grow as a musician', or: 'it's interesting to listen to the new generation of metal bands'. The Snakepit interview history is filled to the brim with this sort of 'revisionism' by guys who recorded stuff that withstands the trialing test of time and all crappy trends that go with it. It's just horrible and manages to depress me every time. :(
Some of the most disappointing examples in this area are Realm and Sindrome - two godly outfits to say the least.

But sometimes it can also go in the opposite direction. A couple of years back I was at a Trouble gig in a tiny bar here in Holland (with your trading pal Patrick Soppe actually, who recorded it) and I was wearing an Angel Witch-t-shirt. So Eric Wagner came up to me and with a beaming smile pointed at the logo and said; 'Yeah man - now THAT was a fine band.' And then they played a gig that was memorable for its sheer HEAVINESS. So there you go.

NP: Atheist - Piece of time
Prof
Traveller

Beitragvon big mouth » 12. August 2005, 17:03

Yeah Prof, fortuna
big mouth

Beitragvon big mouth » 12. August 2005, 17:05

Yeah Prof, fortunately there's still a few musicians who belong to that league but they are few... and just like you that often depress me....
"I moved on" and all that crap are just perfect examples of the fact that ofyten those guys were nothing but false Metallers just like Bob Muldowney used to say and it's so true. Moving on...bullshit... you doesn't move on when you're a Metal addict.
big mouth

Beitragvon Prof » 12. August 2005, 17:50

big mouth hat geschrieben: Yeah Prof, fortunately there's still a few musicians who belong to that league but they are few... and just like you that often depress me....
"I moved on" and all that crap are just perfect examples of the fact that ofyten those guys were nothing but false Metallers just like Bob Muldowney used to say and it's so true. Moving on...bullshit... you doesn't move on when you're a Metal addict.

Exactly - you can enjoy different kinds of music, but: once a metalhead, always a metalhead. There is no 'moving on'!
I'm quite confident that - just getting a bit morbid here - that when I go, the last thing I will have listened to is a metal song. :) Going out with a bang (or a guitar solo), so to speak. I think I'll put it in my will that 'Metal forever' shall be on my tombstone.

(I've always wondered how you do that, by the way, moving on from being metal. It's a contradiction in terms.)
Prof
Traveller

Nächste

ZurĂĽck zu English speaking SACRED METAL-Forum