Was Cirith Ungol progressive metal?

Hard Rock, Prog Rock, Art Rock, Progressive Metal ...

Was Cirith Ungol progressive metal?

Beitragvon metalized » 18. Mai 2010, 04:35

for me yes!

What they were playing was and still is so fresh, so unique and so amazing, that I think they deserve to be called progressive. That is what progress is all about I assume: Creating something that nobody has created before, something that will always be a point of reference.

So yes, Cirith Ungol were progressive metal for me.
Even now now has been able to capture this unique atmosphere they created.

Sorry if I offend the true metallers who despise the the world progressive, but I wouldn't expect to find one in this forum. :-D
metalized
Mode-Fan

BeitrÀge: 44

Re: Was Cirith Ungol progressive metal?

Beitragvon Sgt. Kuntz » 18. Mai 2010, 10:47

Na, not really. I'd say they were even pretty backwards with their 70s vibes, especially on "Frost And Fire", but also throughout their whole discography. Okay, if you call them progressive, fair enough, but strictly speaken they just played classic, old-fashioned heavy metal, with an epic touch here and there.
Muss rispettieren die andere Kollega!
Sgt. Kuntz
Leather Lucifer

BeitrÀge: 8386

Beitragvon Prof » 18. Mai 2010, 11:07

Sgt. Kuntz hat geschrieben:Na, not really. I'd say they were even pretty backwards with their 70s vibes, especially on "Frost And Fire", but also throughout their whole discography. Okay, if you call them progressive, fair enough, but strictly speaking they just played classic, old-fashioned heavy metal, with an epic touch here and there.

True. But there's something to Metalized's reasoning as well. 'Technical' does not per se equal 'progressive' in the strict sense of the term (listen to most post-Dream Theater 'prog'metalbands and draw your own conclusions). Progressive would be something innovative. But since everything in rock music has been done to death by now, creating something truly progressive seems to be a long shot really. Every artist in one way or another emulates artists that have gone before. Nothing wrong with that, on the contrary even. If you're a good songwriter, quality will shine through.
Prof
Traveller

BeitrÀge: 11845

Beitragvon Loomis » 18. Mai 2010, 11:23

If I remember correctly I once read the description that Cirith Ungol were "a mix of Black Sabbath and Rush with a Demon at the microphone". I guess this description is not too wrong. :cool2:
Loomis
Sacred Metal-Legende

BeitrÀge: 14219

Beitragvon Prof » 18. Mai 2010, 11:39

Loomis hat geschrieben:If I remember correctly I once read the description that Cirith Ungol were "a mix of Black Sabbath and Rush with a Demon at the microphone". I guess this description is not too wrong. :cool2:

Sounds about right.
Prof
Traveller

BeitrÀge: 11845

Beitragvon metalized » 18. Mai 2010, 15:06

Prof hat geschrieben:True. But there's something to Metalized's reasoning as well. 'Technical' does not per se equal 'progressive' in the strict sense of the term (listen to most post-Dream Theater 'prog'metalbands and draw your own conclusions). Progressive would be something innovative. But since everything in rock music has been done to death by now, creating something truly progressive seems to be a long shot really. Every artist in one way or another emulates artists that have gone before. Nothing wrong with that, on the contrary even. If you're a good songwriter, quality will shine through.

there is so much truth in this statement. :yeah:
metalized
Mode-Fan

BeitrÀge: 44

ZurĂŒck zu Hard Rock Heaven / Prog The World