Mike Portnoy verlässt Dream Theater

Hard Rock, Prog Rock, Art Rock, Progressive Metal ...

Mike Portnoy verlässt Dream Theater

Beitragvon Aragorn » 9. September 2010, 08:23

Unglaublich...Wednesday September 8th 2010

I am about to write something I never imagined I'd ever write:

After 25 years, I have decided to leave Dream Theater....the band I founded, led and truly loved for a quarter of a century.

To many people this will come as a complete shock, and will also likely be misunderstood by some, but please believe me that it is not a hasty decision...it is something I have struggled with for the last year or so....

After having had such amazing experiences playing with Hail, Transatlantic and Avenged Sevenfold this past year, I have sadly come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and better personal relations with these other projects than I have for a while now in Dream Theater...

Please don't misinterpret me, I love the DT guys dearly and have a long history, friendship and bond that runs incredibly deep with them...it's just that I think we are in serious need of a little break...

Dream Theater was always my baby...and I nurtured that baby every single day and waking moment of my life since 1985...24/7, 365...never taking time off from DT's never-ending responsibilites (even when the band was "off" between cycles)...working overtime and way beyond the call of duty that most sane people ever would do for a band...

But I've come to the conclusion that the DT machine was starting to burn me out...and I really needed a break from the band in order to save my relationship with the other members and keep my DT spirit hungry and inspired.

We have been on an endless write/record/tour cycle for almost 20 years now (of which I have overseen EVERY aspect without a break) and while a few months apart from each other here & there over the years has been much needed and helpful, I honestly hoped the band could simply agree with me to taking a bit of a "hiatus" to recharge our batteries and "save me from ourselves"...

Sadly, in discussing this with the guys, they determined they do not share my feelings and have decided to continue without me rather than take a breather...I even offered to do some occasional work throughout 2011 against my initial wishes, but it was not to be...

While it truly hurts for me to even think of a Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy (hell, my father named the band!!), I do not want to stand in their way...so I have decided to sacrifice myself and simply leave the band so as to not hold them back against their wishes....

Strangely enough, I just read an interview that I recently did that asked me about the future of DT and I talked about "always following your heart and being true to yourself"...sadly I must say that at this particular moment, my heart is not with Dream Theater...and I would simply be "going through the motions", and would honestly NOT be true to myself if I stayed for the sake of obligation without taking the break I felt I needed.

I wish the guys the best and hope the music and legacy we created together is enjoyed by fans for decades to come...I am proud of every album we made, every song we wrote and every show we played....

I'm sorry to all the disappointed DT fans around the world...I really tried to salvage the situation and make it work...I honestly just wanted a break (not a split)...but happiness cannot be forced, it needs to come from within....

You DT fans are the greatest fans in the world and as you all know, I have always busted my ass for you guys and I hope that you will stay with me on my future musical journey, wherever it may lead me....(and as you all know my work ethic, there will surely be no shortage of future MP projects!)

Sadly...
Your fearless ex-leader and drummer,
MP
On the ruins of the past
A black bird flies around
tryin' to get the imperial crown
Rivers of cry old sad memory goodbye
Beyond the wind of north
Aragorn
Progressive-Metal-Sammler

Re: Mike Portnoy verlässt Dream Theater

Beitragvon Oliver/Keep-It-True » 9. September 2010, 08:58

Das ist irgendwie als ob Lemmy bei Motörhead aussteigt....Portnoy war für mich immer Mr. Dream Theater...RIP
"Valor pleases you, Crom...so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"
Bild
Oliver/Keep-It-True
Barbar

Beitragvon The Butcher » 9. September 2010, 09:01

Absolut richtige Entscheidung! Wenn er keinen Bock mehr drauf hat, dann soll er aufhören. Das ist besser, als wenn weitere halbgare Sachen dabei rauskommen.

Aber ich wage jetzt schon einmal eine Prognose: Die nächsten eins bis zwei Alben werden die Verkäufe und der Tourzuspruch von DREAM THEATER einbrechen, denn Portnoy war nicht nur wichtiger Songwriter, sondern "das Gesicht von DREAM THEATER". Spätestens 2013 oder 2014 kehrt der reuige Sohn zurück und es gibt eine grandios erfolgreiche Reunion-Tour. Die Reunion-Scheibe wird zwar nicht der Kracher, verkauft sich aber dennoch mindestens doppelt so gut wie die beiden Vorgängeralben.

Amen
Butcher with stone tools
Carcass of their prey
Savage intention
Carnivorous feast commence
The Butcher
JOHN ARCH

Beitragvon Oliver/Keep-It-True » 9. September 2010, 09:05

Spielt Portnoy jetzt bei TALES OF MEDUSA? Das haste ja geschickt eingefädelt...
"Valor pleases you, Crom...so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"
Bild
Oliver/Keep-It-True
Barbar

Beitragvon Aragorn » 9. September 2010, 09:07

...man wusste ja, das er nicht mehr sooo viel Bock auf die DT Richtung hatte...
Aber ich hätte mir gewünscht, dass sie dann einfach mal 2 Jahr komplett pausieren!

Naja - ich denke auch, dass es das mit DT war :-(
On the ruins of the past
Beyond the wind of north
Aragorn

Beitragvon Kubi » 9. September 2010, 09:11

na ja, abwarten. Es ist ja nicht so, als könnten Petrucci/Rudess/Myung nicht auch ganz ordentliche Songs schreiben. Und die Richtung, in die Portnoy DT stellenweise gedrängt hat, war nun auch nicht perfekt.

Das wird sicher anders werden, aber weitermachen können sie ohne Zweifel.
http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/kubi

Krawehl, krawehl!
Taubtrüber Ginst am Musenhain
trübtauber Hain am Musenginst
Krawehl, krawehl!
Kubi
Himbeermann

Beitragvon The Butcher » 9. September 2010, 09:22

Oliver/Keep-It-True hat geschrieben:Spielt Portnoy jetzt bei TALES OF MEDUSA? Das haste ja geschickt eingefädelt...

Nee, den kann ich dazu nicht gebrauchen. Wir spielen unsere Drums ja nicht mit Sticks, sondern mit lebendigen Schlangen ein. Und da kann uns der gute Mike mit seiner Ophiophobie nicht weiter helfen. .mhmpf:
Butcher with stone tools
Carcass of their prey
Savage intention
Carnivorous feast commence
The Butcher
JOHN ARCH

Beitragvon Aragorn » 9. September 2010, 09:26

anbei ein Presse Release von Jordan / Dream Theater

To all of our loyal fans and friends: It is with
profound sadness -- regret -- we announce that Mike
Portnoy, our lifelong drummer and friend, has
decided to leave Dream Theater. Mike's stature in
the band has meant the world to all of us
professionally, musically, and personally over the
years. There is no dispute: Mike has been a major
force within this band.

While it is true that Mike is choosing to pursue other
ventures and challenges, we can assure you
that Dream Theater will continue to move forward
with the same intensity -- and in the same musical
tradition -- that you have all helped make so
successful, and which is truly gratifying to us.

Fans and friends: File this episode under "Black
Clouds and Silver Linings."As planned, we begin
recording our newest album in January 2011, and
we'll follow that with a full-on world tour. "The Spirit
Carries On."

All of us in Dream Theater wholeheartedly wish Mike
the best on his musical journey. We have had a long
and meaningful career together. It is our true hope
that he finds all he is looking for, and that he
achieves the happiness he deserves. He will be
missed.
On the ruins of the past
Beyond the wind of north
Aragorn

Beitragvon iceman » 9. September 2010, 09:28

Press release from DT:
To all of our loyal fans and friends: It is with
profound sadness -- regret -- we announce that Mike
Portnoy, our lifelong drummer and friend, has
decided to leave Dream Theater. Mike's stature in
the band has meant the world to all of us
professionally, musically, and personally over the
years. There is no dispute: Mike has been a major
force within this band.

While it is true that Mike is choosing to pursue other
ventures and challenges, we can assure you
that Dream Theater will continue to move forward
with the same intensity -- and in the same musical
tradition -- that you have all helped make so
successful, and which is truly gratifying to us.

Fans and friends: File this episode under "Black
Clouds and Silver Linings."As planned, we begin
recording our newest album in January 2011, and
we'll follow that with a full-on world tour. "The Spirit
Carries On."

All of us in Dream Theater wholeheartedly wish Mike
the best on his musical journey. We have had a long
and meaningful career together. It is our true hope
that he finds all he is looking for, and that he
achieves the happiness he deserves. He will be
missed.

War jetzt auch etwas geschockt, aber die restlichen Jungs werden schon ein paar gute Songs zustande bringen.
Und in 3-4 Jahre kommt Mike zurück und sie spielen mit 2 Drummern. Klingt ja eher so als ob er einfach ne DT-Auszeit braucht.
iceman
METAL GOD

Beitragvon Acrylator » 9. September 2010, 11:18

Das ist echt merkwürdig und wäre mir nie in den Sinn gekommen. Das ist, als würde jemand bei RUSH aussteigen...
Aber ich kann Mike Portnoy gut verstehen und finde es schade, dass der Rest der Band nicht auf seinen Wunsch nach einer Pause eingegangen ist. Es würde ihnen sicher gut tun, sich mal einige Jahre zu sammeln und dann mit neuer Frische ans Werk zu gehen. Auf den DT-Scheiben der letzten 8 Jahre war für meinen Geschmack halt schon oft zu viel Selbstkopiererei. Ich mag die Alben zwar immer noch, aber sie haben nie so richtig den Weg in mein Herz gefunden - die letzte Scheibe, die das geschafft hat, war "Scenes From A Memory". Außerdem finde ich, dass die Abstände zwischen den Alben bei Dream Theater in den letzten 8 Jahren zu kurz waren. Klar, knapp 2 Jahre sind nicht wirklich wenig, aber ich hatte irgendwie immer das Gefühl, dass die Zeit für ein neues DT Album noch nicht reif war...(und seit dem letzten Album erst ein paar Monate vergangen sind - wobei das wohl eher daran liegt, dass man schon so vielen Bands die Treue hält, dass ständig etwas neues von seinen alten Lieblingsbands rauskommt)
Zuletzt geändert von Acrylator am 9. September 2010, 12:39, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Acrylator
Sacred Metal-Legende

Beitragvon Ulle » 9. September 2010, 12:04

Ich bin ja inzwischen wirklich kein großer DT-Fan mehr (obwohl ich jedes Album besitze), aber das ist schon krass!!!
Ulle
Sacred Metal-Legende

Beitragvon Pavlos » 9. September 2010, 12:43

:oh2:

Irgendwie nimmt mich das mit.

MP ist DT, da können die anderen noch so gute Songs schreiben. Der Mann war das Aushängeschild, der Motor und Navigator der Band. DT ohne MP ist wie Maiden ohne Harris, wie Motörhead ohne Lemmy, wie Sharon Stone ohne mich.
(Ok, der letzte Vergleich hinkt.)
Und so wurde der gute MP doch noch ein Opfer seiner viel zu vielen Projekte. Schade.
Pavlos
Ambassador Of Love

Beitragvon Acrylator » 9. September 2010, 12:45

Pavlos hat geschrieben::oh2:

Irgendwie nimmt mich das mit.

MP ist DT, da können die anderen noch so gute Songs schreiben. Der Mann war das Aushängeschild, der Motor und Navigator der Band. DT ohne MP ist wie Maiden ohne Harris, wie Motörhead ohne Lemmy, wie Sharon Stone ohne mich.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Acrylator
Sacred Metal-Legende

Beitragvon Franko » 9. September 2010, 12:49

Abwarten, wer hätte denn gedacht, dass ACCEPT ohne Uns Udo so gut funktionieren.... :wink:
Franko
Leather Lucifer

Beitragvon Pavlos » 9. September 2010, 12:55

Franko hat geschrieben:Abwarten, wer hätte denn gedacht, dass ACCEPT ohne Uns Udo so gut funktionieren.... :wink:

Musikalisch geht das sicherlich, aber DT haben ihren Leader verloren. Die anderen vier sind viel zu introvertiert um das jetzige (Karriere-)Level zu halten. Oder soll etwa der Myung in Interviews 120-minütige Monologe über das Intro im dritten Song halten oder achtsündige Making Ofs bequatschen. Ich denke nicht...
Pavlos
Ambassador Of Love

Nächste

Zurück zu Hard Rock Heaven / Prog The World