Forgotten Realms (Pavlos buddelt in den 80ern)

Schreibt euch die Finger wund ĂĽber das groĂźe Thema "Metal" - ĂĽber neue Platten, neue Bands, Konzerte etc.

Moderator: Loomis

Re: Forgotten Realms (Pavlos buddelt in den 80ern)

Beitragvon Pavlos » 26. Januar 2021, 17:03

Bild

Bei vielen, ja eigentlich allen Bands dieses Threads stelle ich mir die Frage "Wieso sind die nicht größer geworden, wieso ging da nicht mehr?". Die meisten der hier vertretenen Metal Warriors kamen über das Demostadium nicht hinaus, und wir werden nie erfahren, zu welch großartigen musikalischen Reisen sie noch aufgebrochen wären. Die Spuren jedoch, die sie dabei hinterlassen haben sind pures Musik-Gold, aber eben auch klitzeklein.

Enter die USPMler Silent Scream aus New York, denn hier sah/sieht es etwas anders aus, but let me explain:

Mein Erstkontakt mit der Truppe war ein Video zu ihrem Song Don't Play In The Dark. Schaut man sich den Clip mal an, so will dieser nicht zum "demo only" Status der Jungs passen, da hier alles (Song, Outfits, Schnitt, Beleuchtung, Moves, Frisuren, ja sogar involvierte Schauspieler) auf hohem Niveau stattfindet und das Ganze schon recht profesionell wirkt. Höchstwahrscheinlich waren Silent Scream (neben den kultigen Kandiern Hateful Snake!!) somit die undergroundigste Band mit dem am hochwertigsten aussehenden Clip aller Zeiten. Ein absolutes Kuriosum, if you ask me. Und kultig noch dazu.

Anyway, da es im Netz extrem wenig Infos über die Truppe zu finden gibt, und ich diesen Zustand schier unerträglich finde, hab ich vor ein paar Wochen Schlagzeuger Chip Rainone kontaktiert....

Bild

As there are no dates on the internet about when and how long Silent Scream existed, would you please enlighten us. And could you please say something about who was involved, how you guys came together and who your influences were?
I`d say the band lasted about five years, 1987 to 1992. Originally Robert DeForge (guitars) and Anthony Deane (bass) were in a band called Innocence. They were in the recording studio producing a demo. I got a call one day from Anthony that they were having issues with their drummer getting the tracks done and the engineer/producer (Frank Carabetta, a music legend in/from Staten Island) recommended me. From there I jumped in and completed the tracks and did some live shows. Musically the band really connected but the feeling from advisors was that we needed a better vocalist. I had known Rob Casesse (vocals) from prior projects and we invited him down. Rob absolutely killed it at the audition. We did a few live shows and then had Rob re-track the demo tracks. As for influences, it was no secret that Rob was heavily influenced by Ronnie James Dio. Plus stuff like Black Sabbath, The Cult, Led Zepellin, Queen.

How was the scene in and around New York back in the late 80s? Was it an advantage or a disadvantage that you guys were active in such a huge city?
To be honest, we were more in the early 90's by the time the demo and video were completed. The scene was changing not to our favor with Grunge making a big impact as bands like Nirvana, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains were hitting MTV hard. NYC became very tough to get any kind of exposure. We have to remember that cell phones and social media didn't come into the game until 10 or 15 years later or so. Looking back now Los Angeles may have been a much better move for us but that never happened. Again we had some management issues and few meetings with record labels that didn't pan out.

My first contact with Silent Scream was the cool video clip to Don't Play In The Dark. When I watched it the first time I thought "Wow, this guys must have been huge!!" as it seems you guys had a decent budget for filming it. Everything looks professional, and the song is catchy, too. How did you manage to create such a clip?
I can't exactly remember how we met with the video producer. What I do remember is how cold it was dragging my drum kit up a mountain and recording with frozen fingers. But it was a lot of fun. Everything was done on film as there was no digital media at the time, splicing and editing was a task. I do remember we got a pretty good deal and were happy with the result. The clip definitely was a high point with the band for exposure and advertising.

Talking about your songs, did you guys only write and record the three songs that are featured on the demo or was there more stuff? Did you get some reviews or interviews back then?
Man, we had a ton of songs. Anthony Deanne (bass) was like a machine bringing songs to the table. Some things he would bring in complete and others we would finish together in a jam. Everyone was always involved with ideas and it was a great team to work with. I'd say we had over 20 more songs that never made it to the studio but made it to live shows.
The demo had tons of reviews. We were doing fanzines all across the world as well as some heavy metal magazines such as Hit Parader, Circus, ect. Also radio stations would ask us to do intros and stuff like that. There are some reviews online and some years ago a fellow by the name of Nate Dressel has reached out to me about the band because he was putting together a book of bands and interviews. I think it was called "Leather Knights - a recollection of interviews" or something. If you find it on facebook you can read my interview.

What was the reason the band split up? What did you guys do after Silent Scream?
We did get involved with a bad management company which led to frustration within the group because there was no moving forward. I personally went on with some of the other members to form new projects (Savior Servant for example). I do know Rob Deforge is still an active guitar player in his local town, Anthony Deanne and Rob Casesse have stepped down from the business for years now to my knowledge.

Looking at the quality of the demo and the professional video clip we already talked about, the final question has to be: why didn't Silent Scream become bigger?
Dude, I wish I had the answer to that. If I did, the questions here would be different, I imagine. Well, as I said, the band had a rough time once this whole Grunge thing took over plus frustration set in with our management. At the end of the day we were very passionate about our metal and certainly had some great times. I'll leave it at that.

Pavlos
Ambassador Of Love

Beitragvon Pavlos » 9. März 2021, 23:24

Bild

Troll waren mir bis vor zwei Jahren kein Begriff. Als Jag Panzer 2019 in Mannheim spielten und ich vor dem Auftritt ein paar Minuten mit der Band reden konnte, erzählte mir Gitarrist Ken Rodarte eher beiläufig von seiner allerersten Band, eben Troll. Zu jenem Zeitpunkt gab es im Netz keinen einzigen Track des Demos zu finden und so verlor ich das Thema wieder aus den Augen. Scheinbar war ich nicht der einzige auf der Tour, der über Troll erzählt bekommen hatte, denn ein paar Monate später stand plötzlich das komplette Demo online, und aus den tiefsten Tiefen des Undergrounds konnte man, wenn man ganz genau hinlauschte, glücklich mitsingende US Metal Fans hören. Die ersten Kommentare ließen auf etwas cooles hoffen, and boy, does this sound great!! Hymnischer USPM mit eingängigen Gesangslinien/Refrains und hart angespielten Riffs. Ich also erstmal die Tracks runtergezogen, einen Song auf meinem YT Kanal hochgeladen und Mr. Rodarte zwecks Interview kontaktiert....und hier sind seine Atworten.

Bild

Absolutely nothing is known about Troll. Some months ago the demo was uploaded on YouTube and underground aficionados went nuts. Right now we only know that you were a part of it, but what about the other guys? Could you please say something about where and how the band came together and who was part of it?
Troll was formed in late 1984 by guitarist Ken Rodarte and drummer Mike Grant who both lived in Scottsdale, Arizona. We soon met Nick Rivero (bass/vocals) who lived in Phoenix. We recorded a six song demo cassette called ”Time tells no lies“ in 1988...and broke up.
Mike Grant currently resides in Georgia and is still an avid musician playing drums, guitar, singing and creating original music. I am currently in a band called Downhill Trend which is still active in Phoenix Arizona and has two recordings available on all popular streaming services. In late 2018, I was given the opportunity to play lead guitar for Jag Panzer doing sporadic US dates for the Deviant Chord tour, and eventually the European tour in 2019. Nick Rivero is also still a resident of Arizona and has various recordings available through Facebook and reverbnation.

Phoenix, Arizona spit out some very cool bands in the 80s, I'm thinking about legends like Flotsam & Jetsam, Sacred Reich or the always kind of underrated Icon, but also about some lesser known bands like Lurch Killz, Surgical Steel or the mighty Tension. What did the scene in and around Phoenix look like back in the late 80s, did Troll play live gigs (maybe with some of these bigger bands), how was the scene connected?
Well, the place to play in Phoenix back in the days was the legendary Mason Jar. Several famous bands before becoming big played there. From what I can remember, there were two schools – a school of Heavy Metal and a school of more Glam Metal. Troll belonged to the former.
We opened for the mighty Flotsam & Jetsam once back in the day, Sacred Reich at least two if not three or more times (once at a house party with a stage made out of milk crates), we played with a band called Kaiser that was fronted by Brett Kaiser from Madame X many times. We also opened for Omen, David T. Chastain, Manowar, and other lesser-known bands like Paradise and Little Cesar from Los Angeles.

The demo songs show a nice variety of styles. We have classic US Metal with epic vocal lines, we have speedy tracks with furious solos and we have the title track with about eight and a half minutes duration and almost proggy structures. Who were your influences when you started making music and who influenced you in the late 80s when you recorded the demo? And who wrote your songs?
Nick was and still is super talented and can sing/play like anyone he wants to. Mike was heavily influenced by Rush, I was heavily influenced by Randy Rhoads. Before we started writing original music, we all were also heavily influenced by Iron Maiden, often playing parties/shows with sets comprised with a huge percentage of Iron Maiden covers and also some Judas Priest. I did the guitar music, Nick wrote his own basslines and the vocals (and lyrics), and Mike wrote his drum parts with direction from Nick and myself.

The demo features six songs and was recorded 1988. Was this all you got or were there more Troll songs written by you guys? Did you get some reviews for the demo, what happened after its release? When and why did the band split? I know that you guys continued playing music in different bands like Axetra or Tynator and stayed true to Speed/Thrash Metal.
There are four more troll songs that are not on the six song demo, I would have to look around for them. We were very young and we were not of the mind to be sending our stuff out to magazines for reviews....which is why no one ever heard of us. The band split in late 1991 I believe, Nick decided he no longer wanted to be in the band and simply quit.

Revisiting your demo with this interview, what's your opinion about the songs in 2021? What are your thoughts about a possible reissue? How come that Troll were like a hidden secret all this years, were you guys never contacted for interviews, re-releases or stuff like that?
I think the songs on the demo still stand the test of time, even if it might be evident that they were recorded long ago. Random people have hit me up through the years asking about the band and copies of the disc/demo but we have never been approached by somebody that actually wanted us to reunite. Mike lives in Georgia so that would be our first problem. The second problem would be that after having posted crossroads of yesterday on my Facebook page, I immediately got a message from Nick asking me to take it down because he did not want it online. I think Mike and I are proud of the Troll material while Nick would rather see it buried forever. So as cool as troll was, it is definitely unfortunate that we never went any farther than we did. I understand we are in the Encyclopedia Metallicum.

We reached the "Any last words? part of the interview....
A very cool story is that on my 21st birthday, the local radio station played the longest song from the demo, the title track, clocking in at roughly eight minutes. We were a good band that broke up before doing anything, had no management, and quite frankly we were very, very young and partying heavily – making music and being a band was our thing, we did not have our eyes open for future opportunities which is why we have remained a relatively unknown secret.

Pavlos
Ambassador Of Love

Beitragvon Angelus_Mortiis » 10. März 2021, 00:37

Der Grieche wieder: Danke!

Und warum man sich für solches Material so schämt, dass man es gar nicht veröffentlicht sehen mag, verstehe ich nicht....
Zuletzt geändert von Angelus_Mortiis am 10. März 2021, 12:06, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Angelus_Mortiis
METAL GOD

Beitragvon Hippie-Ben » 10. März 2021, 11:28

Geile Nummer hier alles, danke fĂĽr die MĂĽhe!
Mein Reisekoffer zur Apokalypse: http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/hippie-ben

"Wennde met dr Hääd löufs
häsde immer
E Aaschloch vĂĽrm Jeseech"
Hippie-Ben
METAL GOD

Beitragvon thorondor » 10. März 2021, 19:53

Ich hätt mir noch die eine oder andere vernünftige Frage wie "Wie bist du eigentlich zum Metal gekommen?" gewünscht. Aber passt schon, les ich halt weiter die üblichen Printmedien. Aber der Song ist schon ziemlich geil :yeah:
thorondor
METAL GOD

Vorherige

ZurĂĽck zu Heavy Metal Universe